Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The End of Summer

I can't believe Summer Break is already over. School started today here in Dixie. Donna and I are welcoming the start of school as the kids have started to drive us nuts! I used to hear parents say that they couldn't wait for the start of school each year. Now I know why. Here are some of the activities we enjoyed during the summer.

Each August we throw an End of Summer Party where the kids get to stay up late and watch movies while they munch on yummy treats and have a slumber party in the family room. They looked forward to it all week long and thought it was pretty fun to stay up way until 11PM and eat treats all night.
A party isn't complete without Papa Murphey Pizza, Root Beer, powdered doughnuts, sour patch kids, Peanut Butter Cups and Cookies. It felt like we were at Lake Powell. We had lots of fun.
During the Pioneer Day weekend we traveled to the Wasatch Front to enjoy time with Family. It was fun to see Nicole in the parade. I had co-workers here in St George asking me the following week if a relative of mine was in the royalty. They saw her on TV and heard her name and figured we were related. It was good to meet her beau, Jordan. He is a great addition to the family. We had an awesome BBQ at Bri's cabin at Sundance. That place is heaven.

The cousins enjoy the pond in front of the cabin.

We have nicknamed Kortney "Chubs". That girl gets fatter by the week. Her cheeks billow out and are very kissable....and I aint talkin' about the ones on her face! She is so much fun right now at 6 months old. Her chubby smile and cute giggle brighten my day.

We took the girls to Zion Park in June and enjoyed the hike to Weaping Rock.

We found an Ostrich Farm just outside Zion and had the girls feed them.
I loved catching the polywogs in Zion as a kid so naturally I introduced this little activity to my girls. They each caught one and put them in their water bottles to bring back home.

They were very proud of thier "Loot" Thankfully the polywogs were belly up the next morning. We did not want frogs hopping all over our house for the summer.

Kortney wore her pink bonnet for Zion.

5 comments:

Sharla said...

Love these end of the summer activities! What great fun you have had and taken full advantage of your last few weeks. What a beautiful family you have and when they are all teenage girls you are going to really have a ball! They are sweethearts!

Angie said...

What a fun filled summer! That stay up late party looked so fun, you guys are so cute to plan things like that for the girls, I bet they felt sooo cool that they got to stay up late and have such a fun party. And you reminded me of yet another reason I love Powell and wish I was going this year- the FOOD! :) It was great to see you guys at the cabin! You're right, that babe sure does have some kissable cheeks! She is a doll. And your Zion trip sounds so fun. I am taking notes so I can be as fun a parent as you and create great memories for my kids. :) You guys just have the cutest family with all those girls.

Mills Family said...

Oh Ry, you are cracking me up!! I kept laughing right out loud as I just read that post (...and I don't mean the "cheeks" on her face....)....hahaha! And, the tadpoles went "belly up" the very next morning!....oh, my cheeks are hurting (and I DO mean the "cheeks" on my face!). Your summer party is such a great idea!! We are gonna copy you ok! Ry, can't wait to come over to your house for a visit so soon!!

Sydna Graf said...

Little Kortney is so cute. Six months is such a fun baby stage. I love the end of summer party. Of course, my kids are at an age that if they had to go to bed by 11 in the summer they would think it's a punishment! You have such a fun family with such cute girls.

Jordan and Nicole said...

So glad you could meet my "beau" haha. He is awesome. And it was so good to see your family!! It makes me want to visit the south...so see you soon.