Monday, April 26, 2010

Angel's Landing

While exploring Zion in 1916, LDS pioneer Frederick Fisher looked up at the great monolith and exclaimed, "Only an Angel could land on it."


Last week was National Park week which meant free admission to any NP in the country. I took advantage of the freebie and drove to Zion Canyon on Saturday to hike Angel's Landing. It was a perfect 80 degrees and blue skies the whole day.


The First 2 miles are deceivingly easy and safe. The hike is very fast in this first section.

The Great White Throne is the looming White Sandstone Mountain directly to the East of Angel's.

This is where the hike gets exciting. The narrow fin of sandstone leading out to the top of Angels.

Hiking up the Sandstone fin. A woman stumbled and fell to her death just last month on this part of the hike. The shadows of the canyon appear as black voids of space in this picture. In person, this was an Awesome view looking deep into the canyons below. I wish I had Angie Harding's camera to really do it justice.

The views of Zion Canyon are breathtaking from high up on the cliffs. I noticed most hikers just kept their head down and trudged along staring at their feet the whole time...I kept thinking, "My gosh, stop for a second and LOOK UP to enjoy the amazing views along the way!"

This is the famous "Step of Faith" on Angel's. My camera did not capture the horror of this particular rock. Many hikers have stopped and turned around at this very spot; refusing to go any further. The East (left) side of the rock is a 1200 ft drop to the canyon bottom below.

I voted this as my favorite spot for a chain. The shadows of the canyon messed up this photo but take my word for it, you definitely would not want to have a misstep on this section!

Finally made it to the top. As I stood for this picture, one woman passing by told me I was crazy.....all I could think was "Ah... my dad would be so proud right now!...and my mom would be freaking out." I can't count how many times I have hiked in Zion and heard my dad utter the phrase, "Whatever you do, don't tell mom!"

Looking way down at the main road from the top.

A couple other "crazy" hikers inching their way out to the edge. Fortunately it was not windy on Saturday. A gust of wind on the edge could really ruin your day

The view as I started my descent from off the top.

The virgin river from 900 feet up.
Can't wait to hike it again!


8 comments:

Sydna Graf said...

I hate heights! I hate heights! I hate heights! Good for you for hiking that. Did I mention I hate heights?

MommaChelle said...

i don't think I would EVER do that hike, it looks sooo scary!! you guys are awesome for doing it though

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

How fun! Those pictures look amazing. And you crack me up, Ry! I laughed out loud when I read "A gust of wind on the edge could really ruin your day."

Oh, and those "Don't tell mom/grandma!" speeches are legendary :-) I'm so in the mood for another Graf hike!

Mills Family said...

Oh MY GOSH!!! I've never done Angels and ironically....I've NEVER WANTED TO EITHER!!! It's kinda like someone saying, "would you like to go swim with those sharks you see there in the ocean?...they might not bite...." Oh ry, you're my new hero!!! I think that Lady's slip ruiened all my crazy adventerousness out of me oh those many years ago. That was too close a call for me as I slid with gravity's pull that sunny afternoon. Wow though!...I LOVE your pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, so ....let's get ANGIE to go hike it and to take her camera with her. Those pics would be good to see also huh. Ry, you need to come over to our house so you can tell us more details of that hike....I KNOW you have more to tell!!!!!

Angie said...

WOW! So so beautiful! I loved all these pictures! I have only hiked Angel's once but you've made me want to do it again! It really is so amazing. I love Zion and it's so beautiful this time of year. It is so breathtaking. I've had similar thoughts to you when you notice people who forget to look UP and appreciate the beauty all around them! I loved your detailed description of the hike and the pictures all along the way. Especially the parts where you mentioned what grandpa would say, that made me laugh. So true. I want to go to Zion! And I would bring my big camera! ;)

Sharla said...

Ok, I just left the longest most detailed comment and somehow it didn't show up so here goes a readers digest version.
Why do all Graf boys have to get so edgy! tee hee
You took all the same pics as my boys did and climbed on top of every high rock possible. I guess the only difference is you didn't have a mom saying "hold on to the chain and step out there on the edge so I can get a cool picture of you"
Oh how we love a good adventure and I guess I have been converted to your Billy Goat Graf ways!

Sharla said...

Oh and don't we all wish we could have Angie along for every photo shoot, I know when she is home we utilize her skills completely and then I have her take over my blog and blog them!

Emily said...

Man, my stomach dropped just looking at your pictures! Jeff i still trying to convince me to do it...maybe someday!