Thursday, September 24, 2009

Its A......myth

We just returned from our Dr. Appointment and Donna had the ultrasound. We now know what we are having and I have an axe to grind. Prior to getting pregnant, we had heard many myths and rumors about how to predetermine the gender of your baby. Here is what I have discovered:

1.) Alter your diet by increasing salt and red meat. Donna and I thoroughly enjoyed taking the liberty to devour steaks, hamburgers, venison, and elk roasts to increase our chances of conceiving a boy. Yep, its a Myth!
2.) Wear Boxer Shorts. I donned these hot boxers last spring. Didn't work!3.) Conceive on a Quarter Moon. I never was good at interpreting lunar calendars. I kept telling Donna, "Yeah honey, I think that's a quarter moon" According to Wikipedia, the phases of the moon go like this: New Moon, Waxing Crescent Moon, First Quarter Moon, Waxing Gibbous Moon, Full Moon (jay at lake powell), Waning Gibbous Moon, Last Quarter Moon, Waning Crescent Moon, and finally Darkened Moon. I must have caught Donna on the Waxing Crescent stage or the Waning Gibbous stage. Dang Moon! Although, I did get lots of mileage out of this myth I have confirmed it is in fact a Myth.


4.) Another Myth we found had to do with the profession of the man can determine the sex of the baby, for example, men who work in nursing and teaching are more likely to have girls whereas men that work in welding and construction are more likely to have a boy. I knew I should have majored in Construction Management in school.



5.) Here is a quote from an online resource: "The ancient Greeks used to believe that girls were created from sperm from the left testicle so in order to get a boy, they used to tie up the left testicle during the deed!" Yeah, needless to say, I never dared try this one cause I never was good at knot-tying in Scouts. You definitely wouldn't want to mess around with a Granny Knot.


6.) You are more likely to have a boy if your partner has brothers. I thought I had hit a home run on this one. With 5 boys and 4 girls in my family, I just knew it was meant to be. BUT WAIT, maybe the myth is referring to Donna's family. She only has 2 brothers and 4 sisters. Dang! Strike 6.

7.) Have your hubby drink a strong cup of coffee about a 1/2 hour before bed to make the "little guys" more active. I used this opportunity to violate the word of wisdom and drink a few Dr. Peppers. It didn't work and now I'm addicted to Dr. Pepper. That stuff is soooo good.



Well, in all seriousness, I am very grateful to be having another little girl. I love my 3 girls so much and I can't wait till the next little girl arrives! Now to determine a name: Hilda, Bernice, Ethel, Bertha (apologies to those of you who may have these names...I'm sure they work great for you, they're just not my cup of tea). We may need some help naming this one.

10 comments:

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Congrats!!! Guess you're just trying to be like your big brother--4 girls and THEN 5 boys! I'm sure Donna will be up for that game plan :-) But seriously, you two have the cutest little girls--the world needs more of 'em!

Angie said...

I laughed soooo hard reading this post!!! Ryan you are great. And congrats on another girl! So fun. You guys are experts on the whole girl thing by now. And just think, you won't have to buy her any clothes because of all the hand me downs!

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Okay, and PS-I just showed this post to the sibs and we all died laughing for about an hour. Especially numbers 3 and 5. It brought back memories of your kitty being in heat...

Sydna Graf said...

Girls are great! Congrats! I loved the post and the picture of the construction worker didn't hurt either.(Because, Curt, he reminded me of you!) I agree with Ashley that you are on the Mike and Barbara plan.

The Graf Family said...

Okay that was hillarious! Nate and I were laughing so hard. I didn't even know you posted this when I talked to you guys. Like I said, it will be really fun to see who she looks like. Congrats!! Girls usually are Daddy's Girls!!

Mills Family said...

Oh Ry!!! You had me and Jay laughing so hard! This is classic! Hey, we are SO EXCITED FOR YOU.....and we have just two words for you......GO GIRLS!!!
Ry, you have the formula for making girls!!! Hey, we're excited and we think all your girls are so cute!!!

Natalie said...

You are too funny! I am laughing right now! I have a feeling we will have a household of girls as well and we will come to you two for advice! Congrats!

Charlene said...

Congratulations Ryan and Donna! You almost have a basketball team! and.. That was hilarious Ryan! You really need to be a writer on the side!

P.S. loved the picture of the construction guy!!!

Sharla said...

You are good at making princesses, and when they are all teens they will have so much fun together! That will be a house full of girly fun. Honestly, what darling girls you make, and you have got it down. We ended up heavy on the boy side, but in the end it is all good. Ryan have you ever thought of a side career in comedy? You may want to consider it!

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Saw this picture (http://mattclaytonphotography.blogspot.com/2009/10/hows-weather-up-there.html) and thought of you two :-)