
Things were relatively under control until we discovered two of the kids had exceptionally snotty noses. Over the next 90 minutes, Donna and I were kept very busy wiping these runny noses every few minutes and gagging everytime we felt the warm, gooey, germ-ridden SLIME fill up the crumpled toilet paper.

About 15 minutes into class, the smell of "Poopy Diaper" began to wift ever so gently throughout the room. At 16 minutes into class, the smell was suffocating the room and Donna happily discovered the lone window in the nursery room was fastened shut with bolts. Those DARN black bolts deprived us of precious gulps of fresh air. I quickly hit the ground and began sniffing every one of those 18 bums. The "Poopy Diaper" smell was so thick that it sabotaged my sense of smell and very soon all bums smelled the same. So we were hopelessly stuck in the room without knowing who the poopy culprit was. I totally felt like we were Jon and Kate Plus Eighteen!
A few breathtaking minutes later we finally caught the little stinker and off we went to the bathroom (there is a small bathroom conveniently located inside the nursery room). Only problem was, the kid was wearing pull-ups and Poop does not do well in pull ups. Needless to say, I soon had poop on my right hand and was desperately searching the cupboards for Clorox wipes....gagging all the way. At this very moment, a child who shall remain anonymous but looking very much like the punk in the picture below, went postal and began hitting every child within reach.
A few breathtaking minutes later we finally caught the little stinker and off we went to the bathroom (there is a small bathroom conveniently located inside the nursery room). Only problem was, the kid was wearing pull-ups and Poop does not do well in pull ups. Needless to say, I soon had poop on my right hand and was desperately searching the cupboards for Clorox wipes....gagging all the way. At this very moment, a child who shall remain anonymous but looking very much like the punk in the picture below, went postal and began hitting every child within reach. 
Donna sprang into action and practically tackled the tike in midair as she lept across numerous kids playing on the floor. Three children immediately began screaming after being hit by this bully. I couldn't do much to help as I had crap dripping from my right hand. The three toddlers wailed in unison as the instigator of this beating quietly went back to playing with his toy train. I'm sure the Bishop wondered what the heck was going on in the Nursery Room!
Coloring time quieted the children down and the activity was a success with the exception that one child thought it would be fun to use a purple crayon on my nice white dress shirt. Things certainly couldn't get any worse....right? Well, this just wasn't our day because shortly after the kids stopped coloring, a lovely two year old girl began.....THROWING UP! Oh, you don't even know the fear I have of puking! It is truly one of the most traumatic trials of this mortal existence. So there I stood, drippy snot on my left hand, poop on my right hand, purple crayon on my white shirt, and vomit on my right shoe. I felt like showering in 409 disinfectant spray just as soon as I made it home from Church. Lucky for me a woman walked in and cleaned up the mess on the carpet. She surely was an Angel from on high because HE knows I don't do well cleaning barf out of carpet. For all you soon-to-be parents out there, you've got a special time awaiting you when your kids get sick! Well, I'll close this dramatic story by saying that We've got six days to recover and recuperate before we walk into room 105: Nursery Room A to do it all over again.
13 comments:
Ryan I am rolling on the floor right now. Not to laugh at your expense, but... well, I am. Hilarious! Anyone subjected to that deserves a ticket to the Celestial Kingdom! Good luck next week.
Oh, and I'm seriously reconsidering having children.
(Just kidding.)
Been there... Done that!!! (For two years)! I am no longer concerned for my own exaltation! Lynn and I are set, and you will be too.
p.s. the word verification to post this comment is "blessess" I know that it is spelled wrong, but certainly not a coincidence.
We feel so sorry for you. Reading it though, was so funny!! That was awesome. Great pics. We feel for you and dread the day we are called to nursery.
Wow. Isn't the nursery great!! I hope you get a break and get called into the Elders Quorum presidency or something?? No hassle there;-)
Oh Ryan, I know where you are coming from, but you made it so much more fun. Maybe reading about it is funny, but living it is a nightmare. They called me into Nursery when I was 7 months pregnant to replace a women who was 7 months pregnant who thought she wasn't in a position in her delicate condition to work in the nursery. I asked the Bishop if he knew that I was also 7 months pregnant. He did. So I took my big self and my new baby to the nursery. Thank goodness not all Sundays are like the one you described. Some are actually wonderful, some..... I think we have you and Donna for Christmas. Is that true?
Oh my gosh Ryan I am so sorry. That is past gross and you will be blessed in gold for this.
Oh man I am just shuddering right now.
Way too funny! Our ward nursery leaders deliver the little stinkers to their parents to be changed. Once when I was subbing, a little boy pooped 5 times. I asked if he wanted mommy or daddy to change him. I had the great joy of delivering him to daddy! After the 4rd time the dad said, "Bring him to mom from now on!" Good luck next week.
HILARIOUS, Ryan! I love the way you wrote it—totally felt like I was there watching you crawl around sniffing kids’ bums haha. Here’s hoping Matt and I don’t get sucked into too many days like that :-)
Thank you for the good laugh! Ken and I were both dying laughing! I feel for you and vow to not complain about our callings:) Good look!
Oh. My!! I shudder just reading about your nursery excperience? I think a release is in order?!
Found the blog and love it! Great story! I still feel for you...well sortof, I love how Donna put it yesterday at church...we are now even! Nursery has been great and we love serving with you two! If we could eliminate a few kids than nursery would be so heavenly!
Natalie J.
Ry, you have to either post some more or eliminate this post. Everytime I check you blog, up pops a girl with snot all over her face and... well, I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth!!!
Oh my Ryan!!! Alex and I are dying over here! (Especially Alex -- my husband is a big man, and he's crying.) We've 'subbed' one week in nursery. That was a Sunday, but nothing compared to yours!
And your writing style was very entertaining. Now that we're both home we're going to have to check your blog for entertainment!
Thanks for sharing your misfortune!
Love, April & Alex
Post a Comment