Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Rockwood's Maiden Voyage

 We picked up a used tent trailer and took it on its maiden voyage to Pine Valley on Friday.  The girls were very excited to head for the hills for the first time with it!  Who knew a minivan could double as a truck?!?


This beautiful rainbow was in the skies of St. George as we left.
Donna whipped up some of her dutch oven potatoes for dinner.

Kortney was extra happy on the trip.  She wouldn't sleep throughout the night which turned into a very long night for mom-n-dad.  Too much excitement for a two year old.

The girls were anxious to try out the new beds in the tent trailer.  A mountain lion had been spotted in the campground this summer so the girls felt safe in the trailer.
Morning finally came and I cooked up some bacon and eggs for the kids. 
We went on a fun hike the next morning and looked for animals in the wild forest.  We found this cool log that we could "Walk the Beam" like Gabby.  Our girls have loved the Olympics this summer.
Looking for frogs is always great fun

We came across some cute chipmunks during our hike and chased them up the trees


Fishing in Pine Valley Reservior
Unlike Kyle, we never seem to catch any fish so we resort to seeing who can "Catch" the longest piece of seaweed!  Kortney drug in this beast and was very proud of herself.

The new campground is very family friendly and includes hiking trails with benches.  We loved the camping adventure and are already planning the next one.

5 comments:

Sharla said...

What a great adventure! We loved camping with our kids and our trailer days were some of our favorites! A tent trailer might be perfect for grandkids! We still need to go to pine valley and check it out, but from all we have heard it is fantastic!!

Sydna Graf said...

This is so awesome! I once tried to get Curt to think about a tent trailer, but no doing. He has never had the desire to pull a trailer. Must be some childhood scarring dealing with your family's old trailer! Anyway, I think they are a great mix between a tent and a trailer. Hey, could that be the origin of the name? :) Way to get your girls out in the forest!

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Oh I love it! The girls look like they love it, too. Seriously, how cool would it be to camp in your own trailer as a kid? This camping trip looked like a blast, and I'm sure there are so many fun memories sure to come!

Mills Family said...

lRy, D !
I am finally on the blog! I havn't had a chance to get on for several several days because I have been way super busy starting a new job and my mind has been focussing on that. But I have been wanting to jump on the blog before now so that I could see THIS post of yours! Anyway, it's thursday night and Brooklyn's birthday party is wrapping up here with the family and I am sitting down finally enjoying your blog! I LOVE your tent-trailor!!! Jay and I loved looking through this post and seeing all the pics of the trailor. It is perfect! It looks like a blast too!! I can't wait to see it in person when we are down your way. I could tell that the girls had a BLAST :) !! What great memories too!!!

Angie said...

This looks like so stinkin much fun. I miss being able to get into the outdoors so often like we did in Utah! Thanks for posting these pictures, it makes me happy to see people camping and having fun in the outdoors. Also, your girls are all getting so big! Time really flies. I think you have the cutest family ever. I love all those girls!