Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sad Day for Dad

There comes a day in every father's life when he must say goodbye to his little princess. No, I'm not talking about marriage, I'm talking about something much more tragic....much more heart-renching.....I'm talking about Kindergarten. All kidding aside, I have seriously been dreading this day for the past 5 years. We have created a little haven for Kaitlyn here at our house where we teach her and we are here for her when she needs us. Donna and I have been the only influences in her life until now (poor thing :-). The gates have been opened! I can no longer be by her side when she needs me. I feel like I am loosing control of her. Can you imagine the wreck I will be on her wedding day! So, about a week before the BIG DAY, we started making preparations. We took her back-to-school shopping and purchased a Tincker Bell backpack. She loves it!

Next we took Kaitlyn to get her Kindergarten haircut. She was all-smiles!


This photo was inspired by an April/Ashley picture posted on April's blog. Here is Kaitlyn saying goodbye to her best friend for the past 4 years, her little sister Jessy. To my knowledge the two have Never been seperated until now. Jessica cried as Kaitlyn walked away to the bus stop on her first day. (As if Dad needed anymore reason to hate this day even more!)

As Kate boarded the bus enroute to the evil school I kept thinking of the first time we brought her home from the hospital the day after she was born. I can't believe how fast time flies.

This is Kaitlyn's teacher Mrs. Brandon. She is very sweet and we are happy that Kaitlyn is in her class. Kaitlyn told me she loves Mrs. Brandon. Just as I thought all hope was lost on that very first day... Kaitlyn came back home! Yep, her first day was already over and was a big success and I got to hug my little girl once again. This might not be too bad after all.

8 comments:

The Graf Family said...

Ry, I can totally relate to what you were saying. That first day is a tough one for sure! Those are really cute pictures of the girls.

Mills Family said...

Ry, you think having your first child start school is bad??? Wait until she comes home (on just the second day of middle school) and says that a boy asked to go out with him...and he gave her a ring!!! But the sad thing is even though she told him no...it was because she already has a boy friend!!! Ry, can I borrow one of your guns???

p.s. You are one Tall Drink of Water!!

Brian said...

I so remember the day Angie went off to school!! It really is a scary thing for mom and dad. Kyle had it so much worse, or should I say Mom did. He boarded a school bus in New York and went to school being the only member of the church in his school. He wore cowboy boots and some kid asked him what they were!! We try to forget some of those crazy times and just remember the highlights. Being a parent can give you grey hairs. Darling pics and looks like your little angels handled all in stride. They are well loved.

Angie said...

Fun post, you are so funny. I also can't believe how fast Kaitlin has grown up! Partly because we rarely see you guys but I still think of her as a little two year old!

Sydna Graf said...

Just wait til you have to send them off to the evil college where the evil future husband may be lurking! I'm not ready to be an in-law, so I may have to turn to crime and be an outlaw.

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

I can't believe she's such a big girl already! Glad to know we inspired such a cute pic of my little cousins :-)

Dustin & Angie Drake said...

I remember you telling me that Kaitlin started school at Bloomington. I don't know her teacher, though. She must be new. Many of the teachers have only been there a year or two. (My last year was '06-'07.)

I added your blog and some more of the Grafs' blogs to my parent's page, too. (brucekathrynpickett.blogspot.com) My mom likes to blog surf, but she doesn't know how to post or leave comments.

It's fun to see what your cute family has been up to! See ya later. -Angie (Pickett) Drake

Emily said...

Hey, I finally found your blog address...
It's a funny feeling sending your child off to school. I think having to send them off on the bus is even worse. :(

Cute pictures! Hope you guys are doing well.

Emily Ford